Contests, Fundraisers & Special Programs
Creating Excitement About Recycling
Want more ways to get your students excited about recycling? Or do you have one student with a passion for the environment that might be worthy of some recognition or motivated to take on an extra challenge? Check out the opportunities below.
- Team Earth - NRRA's premier program for jump starting a school recycling program.
- Contests, Challenges & Awards - National and regional contest links.
- Fundraisers- Stay environmentally friendly with these products.
The NRRA School Recycling Club is pleased to offer the “Team Earth” Awards program – a program developed to recognize Club members (and provide potential for prizes!) for the great work they are doing in the world of school recycling!!
Whether you are a Club member or not, the Activity Manual is a great way to get started and ease into recycling at your school. It lists a number of activities and their point values. Teachers and students can select the activities they want to accomplish. Please note that you must be a Club member to earn prizes.
“Team Earth” has three levels of recognition: “Bronze,” “Silver” and “Gold.” The level of award is directly dependent on how proactive a school recycling club is, i.e., how many items it recycles, how actively it promotes its program, educating people on the importance of recycling, etc. For each recycling activity a club undertakes it receives “Team Earth” points. It is through these points that a school can reach for the “Gold” and receive the highest level of school recycling recognition awarded.
How does a school earn points?
Complete an activity listed in the “Team Earth” Activity Guide or contact The CLUB with your own activity ideas to determine their point value. Activities can be completed by individuals or by groups (students, teachers, staff, volunteers, parents, etc.)
Fill out a Team Earth Activity Application and send it to The Club. You can fill out the application form at any time – some schools may fill one out every time they complete an activity or wait until they have completed an entire awards level of activities. Awards are as follows:
BRONZE – Beginning the Awards program!
- 30 “Team Earth” points.
- Recycle 2 items.
- Reward – Bronze Award Sticker; Club Press Release to local paper.
SILVER – Going beyond basics!
- 60 “Team Earth” points.
- Recycle 3 items.
- Reward – Silver Award Sticker; Club Press Release to local paper; automatic entry in the Conference drawing for $200 Club programming credit.
GOLD – Reaching for the highest level of recognition!
- 100 “Team Earth” points.
- Recycle 4 items.
- All 3 levels must be reached within 4 years in order to achieve a “Gold Award.”
- Reward – Gold Award Sticker; Club Press Release to local paper; automatic entry in the Conference drawing for $200 Club programming credit; Best of the Best Award presented at Annual Conference; Free Conference Registration for winner and one guest; Free Tree* (up to $250) and planting ceremony at your school.
*Limited to 1 tree every 4 years; NH Schools Only.
Neighborhood Assist aims to help identify key issues faced by citizens throughout the United States. Whether it’s a literacy initiative, social injustice efforts or a food program for low-income students, you or someone you know could be the catalyst for positive change in your community.
The submission phase opens on July 15 at 1 p.m. EST on neighborhoodassist.com and closes once we receive 2,000 applications. ($25,000 to 40 causes!)
HireAHelper, a Porch company, just release a $2000 scholarship available for The Club NRRA School Recycling Club students! This scholarship occurs four times a year and is open to high school seniors and current college students. You can find all the information related to the scholarship on the link below. HireAHelper Scholarship Our application dates are as follows:
- Spring Contest Cycle: April 17 – July 17 of each year
- Summer Contest Cycle: July 18 – October 14 of each year
- Fall Contest Cycle: October 15 – January 15 of the following year
- Winter Contest Cycle: January 16 – April 16 of each year
On-Going Funding Grants:
- Cartridges for Kids
- Custom Earth Promos
- Equal Exchange
- Fair Trade Caravans
And what about making your own fundraising product such as seed paper cards or bookmarks, or making gift bags and tags out of recycled paper and twine? There are so many creative crafts that don’t cost a lot of money and are a lot of fun to make!