Help Wanted: Transfer Station Manager - Thornton, NH
Transfer Station Manager – Full Time
Location: Thornton, NH 03285
Compensation: Hourly range depending on experience – Up to $32.06/hr (Benefits included)
The Towns of Campton, Thornton and Ellsworth are seeking candidates for the position of Transfer Station Manager. The right candidate will perform highly responsible work associated with planning and managing the operation and maintenance of the tri-town municipal transfer station and recycling center. Position reports to Town Administrator.
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the activities of the Department.
- Recommends plans and policies to be observed in the conduct of operations.
- Monitors landfill and closures in accordance with State & Federal Standards.
- Plans, prepares and administers the annual budget for all operating costs, equipment purchases, construction and maintenance costs.
- Reviews and presents specifications for long and short-term projects.
- Oversees private contractors hired to assist in completion of Department projects.
- Trains employees in proper equipment operation and maintenance activities.
- Operates and maintains baler, front-end loader, compacting and snow removal equipment as needed.
- Works with State and Federal agencies to assure Town’s compliance.
- Ensures that employees are familiar with current regulations and any changes in regulations.
- Stays current on trends is solid waste and recycling through literature, workshops, etc.
- Educates the public on proper disposal and recycling through direction of vehicles, public meetings, newspaper ads, handouts, etc.
- Markets recyclables in the best interest of the towns, and ensures that recyclables meet quality marketing standards.
- Oversees the separation of all materials, assesses and collects required fees per established schedules.
- Reviews and processes invoices, maintains written record of all fees collected and deposits fees as required by the town financial policies and procedures.
- Monitors and schedules the pick-up of compacted waste and recycled materials.
- Limits access to the Transfer Station to the towns of Campton, Ellsworth and Thornton.
- Attends meetings as necessary to fulfill the requirements and obligations of the position.
- Works with the Fire Department regarding the maintaining and burning of any materials.
- Prepares applications for available grants.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with town policies, procedures, and applicable laws, including interviewing, hiring, training, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints, resolving problems, and planning, assigning, and directing work; establishes and monitors personnel and staff policies and procedures.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent; Five years’ experience in the operation and management of a transfer station; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid Level 3 of higher license from the N.H. Department of Environmental Services.
- Heavy equipment experience recommended.
- Knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in the management of solid waste and recyclables, and the operation of transfer stations; local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations applicable to the operation of the transfer station; hazards and safety precautions common to transfer station machinery and equipment.
- Ability to lead and supervise subordinates and to transmit general instructions in the form of detailed direction; to plan for municipal needs, to delegate and distribute personnel and to direct, coordinate, and review the work of subordinates to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Town officials, employees, officials of other governmental jurisdictions, consultants, contractors and the public; to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing; to prepare reports and maintains records and the ability to prepare and administer a budget.
- Managerial and organizational skills; in the operation and maintenance of transfer station equipment and tools; in organization and supervision of personnel; in the use of computers and software such as Microsoft Word and Excel; in budgeting; in providing exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work under strenuous and considerable physical conditions. Frequent climbing of ladders, lifting heavy objects up to 60 pounds, and crouching or crawling in restricted areas may be required. (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
View job posting on town website.
Applications must be submitted to:
Debra Shepard, Town Administrator
Attn: Transfer Station Manager
16 Merrill Access Road
Thornton, NH 03285
(The Town of Thornton is an equal opportunity employer. The position will remain open until filled.)