Help Wanted: Solid Waste / Building & Grounds Foreman, Pembroke, NH - Full Time
The Pembroke, NH Public Works Department has an opening for a Solid Waste / Building & Grounds Foreman. For further information click here.
Completed applications should be returned to: Public Works Department, 8 Exchange Street, Pembroke, NH 03275.
SOLID WASTE / BUILDING AND GROUNDS FOREMAN
Performs supervisory and technical duties associated with overseeing Public Works employees engaged in solid waste operations and building and ground maintenance in assigned departments. Performs emergency repairs on equipment and facilitates repair work when necessary, coordinates the activities
of all contractor and suppliers associated with the operation of all town buildings and grounds. Assists
the other Public Works divisions when required. Assists with winter snow/ice removal operations. Performs all other related work as required.
Essential Functions Solid Waste:
(The essential functions, or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Oversees the transfer station, solid waste and recyclables curbside pick-up.
- Should be able to operate the automated trash/recycle truck or learn to operate it within three
- Performs supervisory tasks and oversees the work and training of attendants, truck drivers and/or equipment operators with respect to curbside collection and solid waste facility operations.
- Responsible for operations and recordkeeping of the household hazardous waste collection program.
- Responsible for maintenance and grounds of the solid waste facilities (e.g. mowing, painting, custodial).
- Must be available and assist in winter maintenance operations. Required to participate in supervisor winter on-call
- Attaches and removes snow plows and associated equipment during emergency response events.
- Provides assistance to other departments for special events as
- Provides project oversight and management of
- Performs general labor tasks and heavy manual work, particularly required for curbside barrel and facility
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation
Essential Functions Building and Grounds:
The listed examples are illustrative only, and may not include all duties required in this position.
- Makes minor repairs to town buildings; such as hand rails, stairs, walls, doors, sheetrock also replacement of light bulbs and other
- Maintains a list of all repairs needed at town buildings, also repairs that have been
- Coordinates and supervises preventative maintenance and repairs to the plumbing, heating, electrical, carpentry and other duties performed by
- Plows, hand shovels and uses snow blower to remove snow from walkways at Town Hall, Transfer Station, Highway Garage, Recreation Area, and Public Safety
- Sands/Salts all walkways at Town Hall, Transfer Station, Highway Garage, Recreation Area, and Public Safety Building.
- Interior and exterior touch up and maintenance
- Co-ordinates the set up and removal of voting booths for all
- Oversees maintenance of landscaping (mowing, raking, pruning, ) around all town buildings and property.
- Install and remove air filters in
- Checks and maintenances generators at Highway Garage and Safety
- Maintains all signs outside town
- Loading and unloading of materials such as office supplies, copier paper, and
- Co-ordinates the removal of trash and recyclables from town
- Works with hand and power tools to perform assigned
- Project coordination and
- Assists the Highway Department where and when
- Assist with operations at the Transfer
- Takes Saturday shifts at Transfer Station when
- Maintains building and grounds assets
- Performs other duties as
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education, Training and Experience:
High School diploma; considerable experience as a skilled worker in public works, solid waste operations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A CDL Class B driver’s license, NH DES Solid Waste Facility Operator certification within 6 months.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a high school diploma; other technical experience required. Graduation from high school or technical school or
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with at least five years’ experience in maintenance, construction, or technical trades; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and
- Possession of valid class B or A CDL license a plus, with airbrake
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Thorough knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in the oversight of solid waste
- Knowledge of snow and ice control techniques and
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions that pertain to solid waste and snow removal activities.
- Working knowledge of the pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and
- Some knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in maintenance
- Ability to perform minor carpentry, heating and plumbing repairs and recognize the need for repairs.
- Ability to operate and perform minor servicing and maintenance on light power
- Ability to follow written and oral
- Ability to work basic office equipment; telephone, calculator and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, departments and the general
- Ability to exercise excellent customer service skills, good judgement and
- Reliability in a wide variety of adverse weather conditions
- Ability to work with minimum
- Ability to climb a ladder.
- Knowledge of OSHA
- Obtain and maintain a solid waste operator’s
Skill: Skill in the use and care of tools employed in the department. Skill in operating and maintaining department machinery. Moderate skill in the use of the computer and applications such as Microsoft Office, work order data base and the internet.
Ability: Ability to understand and instruct employees in the proper implementation of a variety of skilled maintenance tasks; ability to perform strenuous manual labor tasks. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and contractors. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, hand and power tools and heavy machinery. Ability to communicate effectively in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing with the public and coworkers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimal physical effort generally required for work involved in the office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be climbing tall ladders and need to crouch or crawl in restricted areas and is frequently required to hear, smell, stand, walk, bend/stoop, lift, while performing work under conditions similar to best shop conditions on inside work and exposure to adverse weather for outside duties with some disagreeable factors in both situations such as dust, dirt, heat, cold, snow, rain and sun. The employee is also required to drive motorized equipment. The work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion including the occasional lifting of objects of up to 100 pounds. Requires good vision and the application of significant manual dexterity in combination with eye-hand coordination to use hand/power tools and operate equipment.
Work is performed in an office and outdoors with exposure to variable outdoor weather conditions and hazards associated with solid waste and other emergencies. Work involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as masks, boots, safety vests, goggles, gloves or shields.
- Regularly operates heavy and light trucks, heavy equipment, pneumatic tools, power and hand tools, computer, telephone, and standard office
- Makes frequent contact with town departments, police, fire, contractors, residents and landlords. Contacts are in person, and by
- Has access to department-related confidential and/or sensitive
- Errors could result in delay or loss of services, personal injury/loss and injury to other employees, damage to buildings and equipment, and cause significant monetary loss and/or legal
Supervision Scope: Performs various duties of a responsible complex nature following acceptable standards of quality and performance; requires independent judgment in determining methods of completion and carrying out assignments. Supervises staff in accordance with all State and Federal laws.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works. Supervision Given: Supervises Attendants, Custodians, Laborers and Driver/Operators.
There is a wide variety of personal contacts with other Town employees, and the general public. Friendly and respectful dealings with staff and the general public are necessary.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.