Help Wanted: Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Program Coordinator - Montpelier and Barre VT
Description: The Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District operates a variety of collections and programs that include the Additional Recyclables Collection Center, Household Hazardous Waste Collections, and special collections. This position focuses on supporting those collections and programs. The Program Coordinator (PC) is responsible for assisting with coordinating activities for all these programs. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to: providing staffing; training of staff, volunteers, and contract workers; site maintenance, safety and improvements; oversight of daily operations; developing and maintaining good working relationships with contractors servicing District facilities/events, and adherence to District policies and procedures. The PC may be required to work in the field, to cover for an existing employee, or fill in while positions are vacant
Salary Range: This position is compensated at Grade 4 in the CVSWMD Compensation Plan. Grade 4: $18.70 to $24.93 per hour.
- The PC may mentor and schedule field staff, contract workers, and volunteers at all field facilities and programs. S/he serves the District as a liaison between management and field staff, and regularly assesses and presents the needs of Field Staff in areas of training, equipment, and facility improvements to management. The PC is required to work at collection events, and when needed, will substitute for existing staff or fill in when positions are vacant
- The PC assists with facilities and programs that adhere to: VOSHA and OSHA guidelines; federal, state and local requirements for facilities, personnel and waste handling; and, District policies and procedures. The PC will assist in reviewing and updating operations manuals and an emergency procedure manual for all facilities or sites at least annually and conduct periodic drills and evaluations when necessary.
- The PC will assist the Operations Manager/Assistant to the General Manager in ensuring that operations are consistent with District goals and operate within the specified annual District budget.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- A High School diploma or GED is required for this position; a Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Experience in the fields of solid waste or environmental management or resource conservation is preferred.
- Hazwoper-24 (or the ability to successfully complete course certification) is required prior to first collection event; Hazwoper-40 preferred – District will provide training at no cost.
- Experience in customer service or work that involves interaction with the public is required.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communications skills are needed. Presentation and public speaking skills are a plus. Experience working with the general public in a service-based situation is required.
- The PC will be able to read, research, comprehend, follow and produce complex written and verbal instructions and documents. They will also be able to produce professional business documents such as correspondence, emails, memos and reports.
- They will understand basic mathematical processes necessary to produce reports, review and verify invoices, ascertain status of individual project budgets and line items and project annual budget requirements and supervise and handle cash transactions as needed.
- The PC must have sufficiently good physical health and strength to perform the job: working out of doors, standing for long periods of time, and to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- This position requires a self-motivated individual capable of independent work and collaborative and team endeavors. Familiarity with team management, principle-based management and a collaborative process is a plus.
- Computer proficiency and competence with Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Excel is required. The PC will have a strong attention to detail.
- Drives box truck to deliver and collect materials in support of District programs.
- Operates equipment on vehicle to load, unload, or disperse cargo or materials.
- Assists in loading and unloading truck manually and by using Walkie Stacker power lift.
- A Valid driver's license and a reliable source of personal transportation are necessary.
- A criminal background check will be required.
For more information regarding this position, including a full job description, please visit the Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District employment page.
Applicants should send their resume and a cover letter detailing their interest in this position to email@example.com.