Help Wanted: Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator, Montpelier, VT
Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District Montpelier, VT - Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator
Revised/Updated: October, 2021
Reports to: General Manager
The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator is a full-time, permanent position classified at grade 6 of the CVSWMD classification plan.
The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator is responsible for communications and outreach for all District programming to meet the mission and goals of the District, including outreach requirements in the District’s Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP). The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator works closely with the General Manager and other staff to strategically plan, develop, implement, coordinate and produce outreach campaigns and materials that communicate key messages with a focus on waste-diversion to all residents, businesses, schools, and other organizations within the District’s 19- member towns. They effectively respond to situations that may challenge the District’s image and reputation. The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator is responsible for CVSWMD advertising, public relations, public outreach and marketing endeavors. This position oversees the District’s zero-waste initiatives and develops the annual Outreach Program Plan.
- The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator is the District’s in-house writer, editor and publisher. They frequently author articles, promotional materials, press releases and other outreach materials, prepares presentations, and works with other staff to develop such materials as may be needed to further the District’s mission
- The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator creates, manages and supervises all aspects of CVSWMD communications to ensure a clear and consistent message across all program areas, that includes the design of promotional materials, newsletters, advertising, website, webinars, social media accounts, written materials, and participates in-person at certain special events and projects.
- Drafts or edits periodic letters to the editor and/or articles in area newspapers and publications highlighting CVSWMD’s waste reduction efforts.
- Develops the CVSWMD annual report in conjunction with the General Manager.
- Develops new methods of media to enhance public recognition of CVSWMD and its programming.
- Maintains a list of area publications that provide calendar listings and event list serves and post notice of all CVSWMD events in all relevant sources.
- Creates Outreach program evaluation materials and manages periodic survey projects.
- Manages all contact with media representatives. The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator is the point of contact along with the General Manager for all media requests, for crafting messaging, and will work with the General Manager to respond to inquiries from the press.
- Manages tabling and other activities at events that will be valuable to the promotional efforts of the CVSWMD. This includes proactively reaching out to provide outreach and education to our 19 member towns, their transfer stations, town meetings, fairs, festivals, and other local events. The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator will attend, or work with staff/Eco Americorps members/interns to schedule attendance, tabling, and other activities that may be valuable to the mission of the CVSWMD and its residents. • Provides technical assistance with managing waste diversion to member towns, residents, businesses, institutions, and at regional events and event coordinators.
- The Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator may be called upon to represent the District at various types of meetings. They may attend meetings of the District Board of Supervisors, or Committees of the Board. Some of these occur in the late afternoon or evening hours. Meetings may require travel outside our District. They must be able to speak well in public, adequately express the mission and goals of the District, and conduct themselves well in a public setting, even when there may be controversy present.
- Other duties will be assigned by the General Manager in addition to or in lieu of those stated here
Work is performed primarily in an office setting, between the hours of 8 AM and 4 PM. Frequent weekend and evening work will be required. Local and regional travel is required on a regular basis. The District allows for flexible scheduling to accommodate staff for evening and weekend work. Public speaking will occur at conferences, District Board meetings, and other venues. Moderate levels of pressure and deadlines are a part of this position’s work environment. Work involves significant interactions with external customers (vendors, suppliers, organizational program participants and their contacts, collaborating enterprises and organizations) Significant public contact is required in sometimes-stressful situations. Moderate levels of pressure and deadlines are a part of this position’s work environment.
For more information including a complete job description, please visit Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District’s employment page.
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your interest in the position with your resume and a writing sample to: email@example.com.