Help Wanted: Executive Director, New Haven Solid Waste and Recycling Authority, CT
Position: Executive Director
Reports To: The New Haven Solid Waste and Recycling Authority Board of Directors
Location: New Haven Solid Waste and Recycling Authority, Connecticut
Compensation: Salary ranging between $85,000 - $100,000 with benefits included
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recommend to the Authority policies and practices and procedures to: (a) reduce the creation of solid waste at its sources, (b) increase recycling and composting, (c) promote environmentally safe transformation or land disposal of solid waste. Develop programs of strategic planning, research, education and technical assistance to the public, businesses, and local governments. Initiate innovative programs and facilities to maximize waste prevention, recycling, and economic development opportunities.
- Plan, execute, supervise, and continuously review all activities and operations of the Authority and coordinate such activities with other City of New Haven departments and agencies, especially the Department of Parks and Public Works.
- Prepare the Authority’s operating and capital budgets and periodically review budget‐to‐actual comparisons with the Authority.
- Development and implement recycling and waste reduction strategies.
- Prepare strategic long and short-term operating and financial plans, including recommendations, for presentation to the Authority.
- Prepare fee schedules for review and approval by the Authority.
- Regularly analyze and evaluate all the Authority’s systems, activities, operations, and regulations and recommend changes where appropriate.
- Develop procedures and mechanisms to ensure enforcement of applicable statutes, ordinances, and the Authority’s regulations.
- Conduct field visits as necessary.
- Procure such goods and services as the Authority may require and negotiate contract terms.
- Attend all regular and special Board meetings and provide periodic reports, including financial as requested by the Board.
- Manage the collection, transportation, processing and recycling of non‐hazardous solid waste generated in the City of New Haven to the extent that such responsibilities are not exclusively those of the City.
- Manage, supervise, and evaluate subordinate employees either directly or through immediate supervisors.
- Work with the industrial and commercial sectors to facilitate source reduction and recycling through waste audits and recycling contacts.
- Investigate and implement financial incentives for existing and new recycling and waste reduction programs.
- Apply for grants.
- Provide waste reduction and recycling education programs.
- Develop strategies pertaining to flow control; develop strategies to enforce normal ordinances with internal and external resources.
- Perform related duties as required or as assigned by the Authority.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a major in business, environmental studies, public administration or a closely related field.
- At least four years of managerial experience in waste management and finance, including solid waste management and recycling. And waste flow control knowledge. (time out/waste flow control in) Management experience preferred.
- The ability to develop and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with the Authority, staff, other City of New Haven departments, other governments, institutions and the business community.
- Strong public relations and communications skills, both written and oral.
- Proficiency in the use of current computer technology as it relates to management and solid waste.
- Ability to understand and apply Connecticut Freedom of Information and Record Retention statutes and regulations.