Help Wanted: Environmental Analyst VII - Materials Management Section Supervisor - Montpelier, VT
Environmental Analyst VII - Materials Management Section Supervisor - FULL TIME
Location: Montpelier, VT, US
Department: Environmental Conservation
Compensation & Benefits:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Are you driven to help Vermont meet its goals to waste less, recycle more, and keep food scraps out of the trash? This position supervises, delegates, and oversees a team of six (6) staff within the Materials Management Section. With this team, this position is responsible for the development and oversight of solid waste plans that strive to reduce, reuse, recycle, compost, and safely manage household hazardous waste. This position also oversees the implementation of Vermont's Universal Recycling law, Single Use Products law, and six (6) product stewardship programs including electronics, mercury bulbs, mercury thermostats, paint, batteries, and beverage containers through the bottle bill.
Among other duties, this work often requires:
- Close program oversight of laws and regulations,
- Occasional public speaking, media communication, & running stakeholder meetings,
- Grants and contracts management, and
- Engagement with municipalities, businesses, the public, and other state government agencies to improve materials management in Vermont.
You'll be joining a well-established team that values collaboration and varying perspectives. This position is based in Montpelier with some needs for occasional travel and has the opportunity for telework with Program Manager approval.
- Candidates who demonstrate applicable skills and experience through their cover letter and resume will receive preference
- Supervisor experience and strong interpersonal skills
- Experience communicating to the public, especially relating to environmental issues
- Experience developing and implementing outreach and education
- Experience in writing, especially explaining complex laws and regulations to the public
- Experience with data management and analysis
- Knowledge of solid waste, recycling, organics recycling, and product stewardship programs and policies is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in a biological-life or physical science, engineering, or an environmental or natural resources field AND six (6) years or more at a professional level in an environmental or natural resources field.
Master's degree in an environmental or natural resources field AND four (4) years or more at a professional level in an environmental or natural resources field.
One (1) year or more of experience as an Environmental Analyst VI or two (2) years or more as an Environmental Analyst V.