Help Wanted: Assistant Director/Operations Manager - New Bedford, MA
The Greater New Bedford Regional Refuse Management District seeks to fill the position of Assistant Director / Operations Manager. This is a newly created position to prepare for management succession as members of the District’s upper management team transition out of the organization over the next 2 years. The Assistant will be responsible for assisting the Executive Director and the Operations Manager in their roles managing the District and the Crapo Hill landfill. This is unique opportunity to grow into a management role in one of the most successful regional refuse Districts in Massachusetts.
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting salary - $90,000 annually
- Competitive benefits package
- Competitive benefits package including: participation in New Bedford Retirement system (which offers a defined pension benefit after meeting certain requirements); excellent health insurance (District pays 50% to 60%); 13 paid holidays; vacation, sick and personal time; participation in a deferred compensation 457(b) plan; tuition reimbursement; and supplemental insurance through a private provider (offering dental, disability, etc.)
- Work / life balance
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (civil/environmental preferred), environmental science, planning, construction management or related field; prior experience managing budgets and personnel, as well as engineering, construction, or environmental projects
- Desire to serve the public
- Commitment to developing solutions for solid waste management issues, including waste reduction, recycling, and environmental protection
- Problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Assists in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating the activities of the District. Assists with preparation of agenda and back-up information for District Committee meetings.
- Assists in the planning and directing landfill operations to ensure all activities comply applicable laws, agreements, leases and/or policies.
- Reviews and recommends to the Executive Director general rules, regulations, and administrative policies for the District; directs the preparation and maintenance of necessary records and reports as instructed by the Executive Director and/or Operations Manager.
- Inspects field operations and job sites and assists Executive Director and Operations Manager in resolving issues requiring additional technical or managerial assistance.
- Assists with preparing and administering the annual District budget, and capital improvement program; makes recommendations toe Executive Director for purchase of equipment, staffing levels and improvements of the department
For a full job description, including a full list of essential functions, please visit the the Greater New Bedford Regional Refuse Management District Website.
Initial interviews will begin on or about October 10, 2022 and the position will remain open until filled.